tenet (ten' it), noun: a principle, doctrine, or belief held as truth

Welcome to my blog! Here I will share some of my thoughts on horn playing and teaching, which I think about a lot, and maybe some other things, too. Since my job (which thankfully, allows me to do a lot of playing and teaching) keeps me very busy, as does my wonderful family, I may not write frequently. My goal will be quality, not quantity!

Please share your comments.

Monday, March 7, 2011

SEHW 2011

     The 2011 Southeast Horn Workshop was this past weekend in Boone, NC on the campus of Appalachian State University.  My students and I had a great time!  A big thank you to the hosts, Karen Robertson and her students, for putting on a top-notch event.

     I'm a real sucker for horn workshops, and I love attending the recitals and lectures, and looking through all the exhibits.  But, the best part about these events now, for me, is getting to see so many old friends.
     I played on a Regional Artists Recital Saturday morning at 10am.  I performed four out of the six movements of "Cornucopia" by Thomas Dunhill.  I didn't realize that so few people know about this work.  It's a really nice piece that should be performed more often.  It works great on recitals, and is a good option for student juries, too.  It's published by Boosey & Hawkes, and is available here.  Michael Thompson recorded the piece on this CD.  Here's a YouTube video of a performance...



     Later that day, I conducted the WCU Horn Choir on two pieces.  My students played really well, and I'm very proud of them!  On Sunday morning, David Jolley complimented me on the Horn Choir's performance - that was neat!


     The "headliners" who performed on the evening concerts were John Ericson, David Jolley and Gail Williams.  All three of these players made it look and sound so easy - it was really inspiring!  Over the course of the weekend, I had nice conversations with both Jolley and Ericson (who--along with Bruce Hembd--writes the king of all horn blogs, Horn Matters).  It's always nice when such great players are pleasant people, too.
     If I had to pick just one, the highlight of the workshop for me was the Military Horns Recital.  I'm sure this is due, in large part, to the fact that many of my old friends were involved.  The ensemble playing was just spectacular, and the programming was really enjoyable.  The spiffy uniforms don't hurt!  (click for larger images)



     Finally, I want to give a shout out to all my fellow professors in the Southeast Region.  I heard so much GREAT playing on the regional artists recitals!  I am very proud to be part of a group of colleagues who really practice what they preach!

No comments:

Post a Comment