tenet (ten' it), noun: a principle, doctrine, or belief held as truth

Welcome to my blog! Here I will share some of my thoughts on horn playing and teaching, which I think about a lot, and maybe some other things, too. Since my job (which thankfully, allows me to do a lot of playing and teaching) keeps me very busy, as does my wonderful family, I may not write frequently. My goal will be quality, not quantity!

Please share your comments.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Most Interesting Things

     On a recent Friday, I noticed that attendance was down in my Music Appreciation class, so I decided to give the ones who were there an easy way to earn a few extra points. I asked them to write down the answer to this question:

"What is the most interesting thing you've learned in this class so far this semester?"

     Some of the answers were too good not to share. Here they are, unedited, of course...

  • Learning how all theses famous composers lived abnormal lives and some dying very young. Also, the odd storys about them, like going crazy and insane.
  • The most interesting thing I've learned is that almost all of the famous composers were sickly, had awful relationships or died at a very young age.
  • The most interesting thing i have learned in this class is that the piano has a middle pedal that can sustain the left side of the keyboard and allow you to play detached on the right side
[Really?! That's the most interesting thing? Actually, 4 students mentioned the piano pedals, which I had just covered during that class period. So, I suppose it may not be the most interesting thing they've learned all semester, but rather one of the only things they could remember.]

  • The most interesting thing to me, I would have to say the way music so serious that people would casterate a young man, with the hopes of creating a great singer.
  • Lizart was so popular that when he threw a cigar on the ground it was picked up by a fellow fan who had a locket made for it! 
And the winner is...
  • I liked that bit about Beethoven keeping that bucket of poo near his piano.


No comments:

Post a Comment