tenet (ten' it), noun: a principle, doctrine, or belief held as truth

Welcome to my blog! Here I will share some of my thoughts on horn playing and teaching, which I think about a lot, and maybe some other things, too. Since my job (which thankfully, allows me to do a lot of playing and teaching) keeps me very busy, as does my wonderful family, I may not write frequently. My goal will be quality, not quantity!

Please share your comments.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

SMBQ China Tour 2010

     This has been a record-setting year for me, as far as travel is concerned.  I just got a passport for the first time back in the Fall, and now I've been to Argentina and China in the past 3 months!
     The SMBQ had a 2-week tour of China from April 27th - May 10th.  I couldn't possibly relate all the amazing experiences we had in this blog - I don't know where to begin!  I think I'm still processing it myself, in some ways.  Looking back at the pictures, it's hard to believe that we lived all those great moments.


     We played 8 concerts in 8 days, in 8 different cities.  In one stretch, we flew 5 days in a row!  The people, sights, and food were all incredible.  Words really can't describe my impressions of the trip.  We ended the tour with a couple days in Beijing - no concerts to play, just sight-seeing.

Here are a few of my favorite highlights:

The Terra cotta Warriors in Xi'an

Touring the Li River in Guilin

Tiananmen Square

Overlooking the Forbidden City from the top of Jingshan Park

The Great Wall

     The trip has been well-documented on the SMBQ site, thanks to the Herculean efforts of David Ginn, one of our trumpet players.  See this page for a sampling of the 45 GB (!) of pictures and video that we took between all of us.  And, David also put together a really fantastic photo journal of the tour, where you can read some commentary to go along with the pictures.
    I also wrote an entire blog devoted to our food experiences on the trip, which can be found here.  Ever heard of Drunken Shrimp?  You've got to read about it (and watch some video) to believe it!  For further reflections about the trip from various members of the group, browse the blog section of the SMBQ site.

No comments:

Post a Comment